December 20, 2012

Rochester Eats

Rochester

I visited Rochester, NY for the first time a few months ago.  Words, nor pictures can describe the countryside of upstate New York.  Well, two words would be Martha Stewart.  We were excited to make the trip for the wedding of friends who fell in love at culinary school. It's fitting, even though my pants no longer, that we ate a ton over the week. Like most cities, Rochester is the home to a few cult favorite foods. We had to try as many as we could.

Famous Rochester Eatin'
The rehearsal dinner was a party in the park, complete with a food cart serving Zweigle's famous red hots and white hots.  "Hot" does not mean the dog is spicy, it's Rochester slang for a hotdog.  Did you know this?  I didn't.  White hots are said to have originated in Rochester, and they're white because the meat is uncured and unsmoked, which helps the dog retain its natural white color.  (This was also news to me - apparently I need to get out more.)

Later that night we hit up Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, which locals say is the ONLY place you must eat at while visiting Rochester.  The place was packed, but I patiently fought my hunger pangs after hearing that wings, chicken wings, had originated in Buffalo, NY, only a few hours away.  Are we recognizing a theme here?  Help me leave my house.  Anyhoo, I don't even really eat wings, but I had a few, and man, they were delicious.  If ever in the area, I suggest you eat meat (or fish) at the Dino.  Stephen was crazy for his crusted salmon!

Famous Rochester Eats And then, and then, it was frozen custard from Abbott's. I think we'd eaten breakfast only an hour earlier, but I ate some anyway. The jury is out - is Abbott's custard is better than our local Nielsen's? The decision may sway to the scenery and feel of upstate New York.  Honestly, Martha Stewart. I couldn't handle it.   Last but not least, we went to Nick Tahou's for the famous Garbage Plate.   I'm gonna be honest. I did not eat this. I'll eat almost anything, but "up to four meats on a plate," combined with mac and cheese, I knew I should pass. Tim inhaled his garbage, and surprisingly, he is still alive today.

So tell me, what must I eat where you live?  I'll bring sweatpants.

xo, stacey

0 comments:

Post a Comment

about shh...

Stacey and Heather House is a place of music, food, photos, style, and all the little things that make for a rich life.





FOLLOW

Follow abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP