June 30, 2012

Revisiting | Mates of State. Girls Singing.



Today I found my brain overwhelmed by being on the computer and listening to NPR for too long.  So I turned everything off, made some food, and sat out in the backyard for a bit.  When I came back inside, I turned the radio on then promptly turned it off again.  OVERLOAD!  I needed something different to occupy my ears and mind while doing the dishes.  So I moseyed on over to my record collection.   

It's been far too long since I put a record on the player.  Nothing slows me down (in the best of ways) like playing a record.  While impatience addles my digital listening experience, laziness only enhances in the analog sense.  Once the record's on, it's on.  Flip it over once and the maintenance is done.  Those are just a few of the things I love about vinyl.

What to play?  Well, I was surprised to find myself pulling out Mates of State, Our Constant Concern.  Released back in 2002, listening to it instantly transported me back to my carefree youthful self.  Feeling a need to take a few more steps down memory lane, I decided to try to figure out the date of the show I saw them play live at Kilby Court.  I've narrowed it down, and believe it was this one.  But I could also be completely wrong about that.  It's been a loonnnngggg time, but the Downers and Bad Apple sound like a familiar combination and make me believe this was the one.  Here is the poster for the show by Leia Bell.   Original image found here.

Leia Bell Mates of State gig poster

Our Constant Concern is by far my favorite Mates of State album.  I say that, however, in full admittance of the fact that it's really the only album of theirs I've given a chance.  Normally the first two songs on the album are my favorite.  But today I found myself excited to be replaying 'Girls Singing.'  I hope you'll enjoy it as well!

Mates of State, thank you for your incredible offerings in the harmonizing department.  

Do you like Mates of State?  Do you have a favorite album/song?  Let me know!

Heather

0 comments:

Post a Comment

about shh...

Stacey and Heather House is a place of music, food, photos, style, and all the little things that make for a rich life.





FOLLOW

Follow abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP