August 29, 2012

Things that lead to other things.

When a conversation has meandered a long way down a twisting path, far from its original point, I'm often the one to say, "How did we start talking about this?"  I enjoy the backtracking that follows, during which the conversaters list off the things that were said, until the original and often extremely unattached idea is recovered.  What does this have to do with anything?  Well, today I was going to sit down and write a bit about Zoetrope All Story.  But then I thought, "How did I find out about Zoetrope?"  I remembered it was because of Etgar Keret.  Then I thought, "How did I find out about Etgar Keret?"  I remembered it was because of PRI:  Selected Shorts.  Aha!  No guessing there, I know about Selected Shorts because I listen to NPR.

And so, now that I have uncovered the original inspiration of the post, let's put things in reverse.  NPR, meh.  Try it out, there are some real gems to be found.  For example, PRI:  Selected Shorts. YES!  People reading me great short stories while I drive in the car or clean the house or work out?  Awesome.  An incredible way to pass the time.  Well, on one such driving occasion, I found myself listening to B.D. Wong (extra enjoyable because of my affinity for S.V.U.) read the most amazing story about lies coming to life.  I was so enthralled that as soon as I returned home I ran inside and looked up the stories of the episode.  I discovered the story was titled "Lieland" and had been written by Etgar Keret.  I searched for the story for purchase, leading me to Zoetrope All Story.  At the time it was the only place I could find "Lieland" in published form.  Hmm...an award winning quarterly magazine with covers designed by guest famous people full of short stories?  Double yes!  Very soon after its discovery a subscription had been subscribed to.  Double no?  Well, issue fourteen was sold out (curse you Thurston Moore for being so popular!).  But never fear, the following issues have been a real pleasure.       

my zoetropes minus one

Well, things do have a way of working themselves out.  I forgot about this story for a while, and then out of nowhere it popped back into my head unannounced.  Just sort of started hanging around until I succumbed to the need to experience it again.  Issue fourteen?  Still sold out.  But, two pieces of good news.  The story can be heard here, beginning around the 15:35 mark.  It really is worth a listen.  And, the story can be purchased in Etgar Keret's book of short stories titled Suddenly, a Knock on the Door.  I'm excited for my copy to arrive!

And there you have it.  Whew!  That was a fun one.  Do you have a favorite short story program?  I want to know so I can listen in!

8'ch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

about shh...

Stacey and Heather House is a place of music, food, photos, style, and all the little things that make for a rich life.





FOLLOW

Follow abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP