March 12, 2012

Better than Flowers

Rather than a bouquet and chocolates, my beau gave me a record for V-Day. While I love flowers and chocolates, I felt this gift was thoughtful and touching because of my love of the band and the many fond memories the music invokes.
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Soul Time!
I’d first heard of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings when I was living in San Francisco. Through work I was fortunate to make friends with Melissa and her husband, Matt. Matt is also known as DJ Max Wordlow, and he has the largest personal record collection I’ve ever seen. Seriously. At the time his records were insured for $40K, or some obscene amount. Melissa would bring CD’s to work that Matt had created, full of his favorite songs, always titled “New Music.” New Music Vols. 1 - 17+ were often the soundtrack to my life when I lived in the city, and through New Music I was introduced to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. The first song I’d heard was “How Long Do I Have To Wait For You” and instantly fell in love.

How Long Do I Have To Wait For by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings on Grooveshark

Not long after I was introduced to the Sharon Jones, I was lucky enough to watch her and the Dap Kings perform at Bimbo’s 365 Club, one of SF’s classiest, classic, landmark clubs. It was one of the best shows I've seen live.
record
The record is a gift I will enjoy forever. What's your favorite record?
xo, Stace

*photos by Tim J. Benson

0 comments:

Post a Comment

about shh...

Stacey and Heather House is a place of music, food, photos, style, and all the little things that make for a rich life.





FOLLOW

Follow abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP