September 19, 2012

Garden Harvest Salsa

so many tiny tomatoes

What you see above is my first round of tiny tomato harvesting.  It may not look too impressive, but this is an over sized bowl.  I'm wishing I would have left one tiny tomato on the counter for some perspective.  Anyhoo, upon bringing another batch of fresh picked amazingness inside, Arie and I looked at this already brimming bowl and figured we had better hurry up and figure out a way to consume the majority of these babies before they all went to waste.  Well, salsa was the front runner as far as usage ideas were concerned.  So I gathered up the rest of the harvest, searched the fridge and shelves for some extra ingredients, and set off with tediously halving/quartering this bowl of tiny tomatoes.  It took a lot of time, but man was it worth it.  Here's what I ended up with.

harvest salsa ingredients


Usually I make salsa without a recipe. I just take whatever I have that is salsa related and throw it in a bowl. I season to taste then enjoy.  Today I thought, "But what if it's really good and I want to repeat this in the future?"  So, as an answer to myself I did my whole 'no recipe' thing, but decided to measure things before putting them into the bowl.  Here's what I wrote down as far as measurements are concerned:

4 cups chopped cherry and sun sugar tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped tomatillos (five small/medium tomatillos)
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup chopped peppers, seeds removed (random garden peppers, added quite a bit of heat)
1 small/medium sized yellow onion
4 limes, juiced (I really like limes, you could probably use less if you wanted)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix and refrigerate.  Done and yum!  I spooned some of this hearty, super fresh salsa over some Tostaditas a.k.a. large round and thick tortilla chips Arie and I found at a Mexican market today.  We went in for the humongous fresh tortillas.  We walked out adding Tostaditas to our bounty.  I really hope these are a commonly stocked product, I'm going to need them often.

garden harvest salsa

Sheesh! I'm not even hungry and I want some right now. Tomorrow, stomach, tomorrow.

Until next time,

Heather

P.S.  Wishing I had some of this right about now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

about shh...

Stacey and Heather House is a place of music, food, photos, style, and all the little things that make for a rich life.





FOLLOW

Follow abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP